From: Ryan Kalama
Sent: Friday, May 15, 2009 11:15 PM
Subject: Waimanalo needs your Kokua
“WE THE KAILUA HAWAIIAN CIVIC CLUB, HAWAIIAN CIVIC CLUB OF WAIMANALO AND THE COMMUNITY NEEDS EVERYONE’S HELP TO SAVE WAIMANALO AND TO GET BACK THEIR LAND”
Waimanalo and Kailua have been having our hands full dealing with Bellows Air Force Base forcing the Community to except their proposals for the following issues (Even though their lease is up in 2027):
1. Kadena Air Force Base, in Okinawa, is now the Command Base over Bellows Air Force Base out in Waimanalo 96795 and Hickam Air Force Base will be turned over to Pearl Harbor Naval Command.
2. Senator Inouye had the House of Congress and the House of Senate approve a huge budget to build un-necessary housings, buildings, water parks, golf courses, shopping mall, and huge mega resort.
3. Building 48 2 story condominiums at the edge of Bellows Air Force Base runway, right next to the Commanders House and Chief Cabins which are located on the shore line, located NE of Bellows AFB.
4. The sewage will be pumped back down into the sand; in which there is sewage already spreading, all over Lani kai Beach, Waimanalo Bay, all the way down to Makapu’u, attracting large feasting sharks.
5. Where there is Billeting there is people. When there is more people there is more traffic. Waimanalo already has a major problem, with only one two way street, which is already a large conjested traffic.
6. Kadena Air Force Base had brought in their own scientist, biologist, archealogist, geologist, environmentalists, and public relations to manipulate the Waimanalo Community that the environment is safe.
7. Apparently this has been an ongoing under cover project since 2007 and we have protested every time they build something. Each time they promised to give us land for our Community and Homestead.
AFTER THE CONFRONTATION, THE MESSENGER STATED; THAT THE 2007 PLAN WAS NOT TRUE, HE GUARANTEED NO MEGA RESORT, AND THAT THIS PLAN WAS ONLY JUST A RUMOR.
They have mentioned, that they would turn the Bellows Air Force Base over back to the Waimanalo Community; but we were responsible for all the nuclear chemical dump sites and destruction they caused.
We have had only two encounters, since Monday April 20th, 2009, the first encounter was at the Waimanalo Neighborhood Board, letting us know, that the Community response only had about 14 days left.
The Air Force had publicized their plan on how they were going to expand their cabins, how it was a low empact on the environment, & Recreation for our soldiers, on May 3, 2009, Star Bulletin newspaper.
Which has stired a contreversial situation with in the Waimanalo Community. The second encounter was May 13th, 2009, and they gave us a tour out at the site, where they plan to build their condominiums.
We weren’t able to record or film the second encounter; but we had over 30 people attended the meeting. A tour was provided, and posters were displayed; which were not well received by the Community.
Some have spoken up, some were emotional, and some professionally expressed all their concerns. The main problem is that they never notified us of their plans until recently on Monday April 20th, 2009.
We the Civic Clubs and Community members have obtained several documents that all of you can find on your computer, print them out for your own record, and bring them to the next meeting here it is:
1. GSA Release FY 2006 Federal Real Property Report, http://www.gsa.gov/Portal/gsa/ep/contentView.do?noc=T&content.type=GSA_BASIC&contentid=23325
2. Executive Order 13287 PRESERVE AMERICA, http://www.gsa.gov/Portal/gsa/ep/contentView.do?P=PLAE&contentID=16910&contentTy
3. NEPA’s Forty Most Asked Questions, http://www.ceq.hss.doe.gov/nepa/regs/40/40p3.htm
4. CEQ 40 FAQS Answers to 1-10, http://ceq.hss.doe.gov/nepa/regs/40/1-10.HTM#1
5. President Ronald Reagan, http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=42208
6. Honolulu Star-Bulletin Editorials Friday, June 21, 1996 “Military is serious about keeping Bellows” http://archives.starbulletin.com/1996/06/21/editorial/editorials.htm
Everyone need to research on your computer certain reports that can be retrieved and reviewed before you attend the next meeting; so once again here is the reports you can pull from your internet search:
a. United States Environmental Protection Agency Region IX, Addressed to Mr. Ron Lanier about Bellows AFS. Subject: Draft Environmental Impact Statement (DEIS), Housing Privatization Phase II, Hickam AFB and Bellows AFS, Oahu Hawaii (CEQ#20060146)
b. Federal Real Property Council, Guidance for Improved Asset Management
c. Federal Real Property Council Fiscal Year 2005, An Overview of the U.S. Federal Government’s Real Property Report Guide
d. Federal Real Property Council Inventory, Guidance June 30, 2006
e. Federal Real Property Council Fiscal Year 2007, Guidance May 24, 2007
f. Federal Real Property Council Fiscal Year 2008, Guidance June 23, 2008
g. Code of Federal Regulations 32 CFR Ch. VII (7-1-01 Edition)
h. Hawaii Costal Zone Management Progam Document 2 Inventory of the Federally Controlled Land in Hawaii. August, 1975, prepared for the “State of Hawaii Department of Planning and Economic Development”
WE ALL NEED TO DO OUR RESEARCH OF ALL THE SITES AND REPORTS; IN WHICH IT HAS BEEN SENT TO YOU. BE PREPARED BY THE NEXT MEETING; SO WE COULD STOP THESE
Our next encounter ship is Monday May 18th, 2009 at 6:00 p.m. some of the people have hope and some have assumed that Kadena and Bellows Air Force Base already made up their minds to go ahead.
Waimanalo has a chance to restore their Ahapuaa, build a Youth Center, create a Culture Center, Local Business, and a Village Community; which most of it will be built on parts of Bellows Air Force Base.
WE WOULD APPRECIATE EVERYONE’S PARTICIPATION TO COME FORTH TO OUR WAIMANALO NEIGHBORHOOD BOARD MEETING ON MAY, 2009 AT 6:00 P.M. HELD AT BELLOWS AFB.
Kahu Ryan Alena Kaimana Kuhio Kalama
President of the Kailua Hawaiian Civic Club