The article in the printed edition was longer and contained information about the military making the top of the persistent, bioaccumulative and toxic substances list, most likely due to the release of lead.
Updated at 1:42 p.m., Tuesday, December 8, 2009
Hawaii saw 5% jump in toxic releases
Hawaii facilities reported an increase in toxic releases of 5 percent in 2008 compared with 2007, according to the latest data available from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
But EPA officials said the information — which comes from power plants, military bases, refineries and other industries — should inform nearby communities and not alarm them.
“We encourage people to use data from the Toxics Release Inventory in order to gain a better understanding of what is being released into their neighborhoods,” said Laura Yoshii, acting EPA administrator for the Pacific Southwest region.
The data comes from one of the largest publicly available databases, which provides information on more than 650 toxic chemicals released by various industries. The chemical information in the inventory is calculated by industrial facilities and reported to the EPA, as required by law.
“Industry and communities informed with accurate information can use the inventory as a starting point to find opportunities to reduce the amount of pollutants released into the air we breathe, the water we drink and the land we enjoy,” Yoshii said.
For more on the program, visit www.epa.gov/tri.
The top 10 facilities in Hawaii for chemicals releases (reported in pounds) in 2008 are (Facility Name/City/Total Releases):
1. Hawaiian Electric Co. Inc. Kahe Generating Station Kapolei 820,736
2. U.S. Navy Pearl Harbor Naval Complex Pearl Harbor 552,279
3. Hawaiian Electric Co. Inc. Waiau Generating Station Pearl City 310,763
4. AES Hawaii Inc Kapolei 240,777
5. Chevron Products Co-Hawaii Refinery Kapolei 230,534
6. Hawaii Electric Light Co. Inc. Hill Generating Station Hilo 210,131
7. Maui Electric Co. LTD Kahului Generating Station Kahului 210,120
8. Hawaii Electric Light Co. Inc. Puna Generating Station Keaau 103,005
9. Maui Electric Co Ltd. Maalaea Generating Station Kihei 98,349
10. Tesoro Hawaii Refinery Kapolei 89,030