Take a Stand to Defend Lualualei Farm Land!
There will be an important community meeting for protection of agricultural land in Lualualei. The Wai’anae Sustainable Community Plan final draft will be discussed. The developers who want to industrialize Wai’anae have inserted a “purple spot” of urban zoning into the plan in the middle of historically productive agricultural land in Lualualei. This is also an important site to Maui the Demigod, who according to legend was born in Lualualei.
PLEASE HELP WITH THESE TWO ACTIONS:
1. The Concerned Elders of Wai’anae are organizing sign holding Wednesday, November 10, 4:00 pm at the MacDonalds in Lualualei
2. Come to the Public Meeting.
CALL TO ACTION!
Wednesday Nov. 10, 2010 – 7PM
Wai‘anae Sustainable Community Plan
St. Philip’s Church in Ma‘ili
87-227 St. John’s Road, Waianae, HI 96792
KEEP WAI’ANAE COUNTRY!
For more information: http://bit.ly/purplespot, call 524-8220 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Until the 1980s, this land was a working farm.
• A corporation from Japan evicted the farmer, to try to build a golf course. Waiʻanae residents protested, and the golf course proposal failed.
• Today, developers are working to change the zoning from agricultural to industrial. These developers want to build a new industrial park on this land.
• This is one of three major proposals to expand industrial land use in Lualualei Valley–including new landfills—right next to existing farms, schools, and homes.
Samson Reiny writes in the Hawaii Independent:
Another feature that differentiates Waianae from other rural areas is that its valleys aren’t always reminiscent of the pastoral idyllic. Waianae is also home to vast military operations and is the place where much of the island’s waste is sent.
The Army has leased Makua Valley since World War II for live-fire training, and the Navy commandeers over 9,000 acres in Lualualei valley for ordnance storage and radio communications.
The PVT Landfill in Waianae is the island’s only industrial waste disposal and is situated on Lualualei Naval Access Road.